Friday, November 14, 2008

Fabulous Day 1

May I just say that most of you are lucky that you do not live near me because all day yesterday I talked about my journey to fabulous and I'm sure it got old quickly.  

Instead of cleaning the house in the morning while Ben was at preschool like I normally do, I planned to go to the nail spa to get a mani-pedi.  I convinced Alyssa to join me at the mall that night where I was going in search of all things fabulous.  I told Aaron, if it's fabulous, I'm getting it.  A new bag, new clothes, new makeup - whatever it takes.

Sometimes, however, life has a way of intruding on your plans.  

I have a grand total of one hour 15 minutes while Ben is at school.  I knew I'd be cutting it close but figured that I could just make it to the nail spa and back if everything went well.  Of course things did not go "well."  There was road construction and I hit every red light.  I decided that if I got to the salon by 9:15, I would have enough time for my plan.  I arrived at 9:16.  And wouldn't you know, they don't open until 10am.  Sigh.  

No worries, I thought to myself.  I still have my trip to the mall this evening to look forward to.  I have a 20% off coupon for J Crew and a 30% off coupon for Gap.  The stars are aligned.  

The boys went to bed without a fight and Aaron got home on time so I was off to the mall.  Do you know that despite giving myself emotional and financial carte blanche to treat myself to new goodies I could not find one thing I wanted?  Not one thing.  I tried but I just wasn't feeling the love.  Sigh again.

I was irritated.  But at the same time I was amused.  Because very clearly the universe was teaching me that being fabulous is not something that can be purchased.  You can't buy fabulous.  Fabulous is what you are.  Fabulous is the way you are born.  To find fabulous, you have to look inside.  

(Still, it wouldn't hurt to have a fabulous bag to go along with my fabulous self. I'm just saying.)  

3 comments:

S@L said...

You ARE FABULOUS just the way you are. (Did I sound like a mother right then?) Don't forget that we did get some fabulous latte & chocolate last night. That counts, right?

Anonymous said...

"I need a little fabulous, is that so wrong?!" love you!

doubletrouble said...

Hope you had a *fabulous* day last Saturday. In the end, I think that's what it is all about. Not outside things like clothes and manicures, but inside things, like sharing laughs with new friends and dipping in the ocean.