Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Shame

I am very, very sad about the CA Supreme Court's decision today upholding Prop 8, which says that marriage only exists between a man and a woman.  Part of me feels angry, but mostly I just feel sad and disappointed.  

When Prop 8 first passed, I was baffled, absolutely baffled, that the majority of people in CA could vote for a law that was so hateful.  But someone explained to me that it wasn't about hate.  It's not that people who voted for 8 are against gay people, per se, it's just that they believe marriage should only be for men and women.  

I remember learning about this argument in history before Brown v Board of Education.  It wasn't that white people were against black people, per se, it's just that they believed their schools, restaurants, water fountains, clubs, etc should only be for white people.  

How sad that we think we've come so far and yet, here we are.  Again.


1 comment:

S@L said...

I agree with you completely. I can't even think of the words to say, so thank you for saying it so well.