Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Shit

6 months ago, I asked my OB for "permission" to have my first mammogram before I turned 40 to have as a baseline.  Cancer runs in my family, my grandmother had breast cancer, I just thought it was wise.  My OB agreed.  I had my first mammogram.  It was not nearly as bad as I expected.  Bizarre, yes.  Painful, not really.

They told me everything was fine and I left the Radiology Department having passed through another of a woman's rites of passage.  

A few days later I got a call back from my OB's assistant.  Upon further review, the radiologist wanted me to come back in.  Apparently there was a small lump in my left breast that they wanted to take a closer look at.  

I rolled my eyes at the message left on my answering machine.  Another example of doctors covering their asses by encouraging higher level tests "just to be sure."  

Sure enough, when I went in the next week, the radiologist confirmed that the lump was benign, just a regular irregularity found in many women.  They asked me to come back in 6 months to be sure the lump wasn't changing.  I never gave it another thought.

A few weeks ago, I got the reminder post card that I needed to schedule my 6 month follow-up.  I went in last week, had the mammogram, the radiologist said there was no change and I could resume a regular schedule of annual mammograms.

Earlier this morning, I got a message from my OB's office.  "Sandie, this is Dr. Clawson.  Would you please call me at my office when you get a chance?"  That's it.  No reassuring words, no explanation.  Just call.

So here I sit, waiting for her to call back.  The doctor herself has never called before.  It's always been an assistant.  I don't like this.




No comments: