Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sarah Palin

Aaron, Sam and I just finished watching Sarah Palin's speech to the Republican Convention. Aaron sat and silently seethed, Sam wondered why people were cheering for someone who was in favor of war, and I tried to listen openly to her words.

What I heard was a charming, charismatic speaker.  John McCain could not have found a better champion for his candidacy.  She was also flippant, mean-spirited and high schoolish.

What I didn't hear was one bit of policy other than that which was related to oil.  And no surprise, I couldn't disagree with her more on that.  (The deafening chants of "drill, baby, drill" made me shake with anger.)  I heard nothing about education or the economy or health care or a strategy for the war in Iraq.

Her speech was meant to reach out and touch the suburban soccer moms (or hockey moms as she calls us) who will decide this election.   Sadly, it looks like the first woman nominee for the presidential office brought us all style and no substance.


No comments: